Information about the Corona crisis
Which museum or attraction is open? How is the situation in Porto due to the Corona crisis?
The official tourist information in Porto offers good and up-to-date information. Although it has closed its public offices (initially until April 3), it is available online (also live chat) and by phone for your questions.
Saving money with the PortoCard?
We have done the math…
Is the PortoCard really worth buying? We have done the math. First, we take a look at the PortoCard offer.
The PortoCard includes free and unlimited use of the metro and city buses of STCP in Porto. In 2020, a day ticket solely for the local transport (Andante Tour Card) costs €15 for 3 days.
The Porto.Card costs €25 for 3 days, which is actually €10 more. For this surcharge, you receive 150 additional discounts, which we have summarized for you here:
- Free and unlimited use of the public transport in Porto. This includes the metro (the underground – even to the airport), city buses of the bus company STCP and the suburban trains between Valongo, Trofa and Espinho (a popular seaside resort with a huge sandy beach).
- Free admission to currently 6 sights and museums
- 50% discount for many other sights and sightseeing tours
- Up to 20 % discount on more than 80 tours and guided tours: including excursions and boat trips on the Minho or Douro; guided tours and wine tastings in the world-famous port wine cellars
- Up to 20 % discount in more than 20 restaurants, bars and cafés
- Up to 10% discount on the entrance fee for Fado Shows
- Up to 15% discount on purchases in participating stores
- 25 % discount at Santo Inécio Zoo, 30 % at SEA LIFE Aquarium, 35 % at World of discoveries
- Up to 48 % when parking your car / rental car
Here you can find some of the over 150 possible savings in Euros:
The extra cost of €10 for three days compared to the “Andante Tour Card” solely for local transport will soon be worth it if you want to discover some of the attractions of Porto, do some shopping or perhaps go out for dinner in the participating restaurants.
What we cannot evaluate in Euros are the time savings or the additional comfort of the PortoCard, as this very much depends on one’s own perception. For example, you will not have to deal with public transport ticket machines – how much is this worth to you personally?
You would like to do your own calculations?
Here you can buy the Porto.Card online before your trip without surcharge / fees. This saves you time and a lot of stress on site as you will not have to deal with or find out how the ticket machines work. Especially after a long flight, there really are better things you could spend your time with…
On a practical note: Upon arrival at the airport, you can use the Porto.Card to take the metro from the airport to the city free of charge so you will not have to buy another ticket.
Current prices (season 2020) for a PortoCard incl. local transport use:
Validity period of 1 day: 13 Euros
Validity period of 2 days: 20 Euros
Validity period of 3 days: 25 Euros
Validity period of 4 days: 33 Euros (8.25 Euros per day)